Research Expertise and Focus
- Maternal and Infant Health including maternal stress, depression, anxiety, fatigue, and epigenetics affecting health outcomes within a biobehavioral framework
- Maternal stress. Funded 2010-2011, through intramural funding provided by the Hahn School of Nursing and Health Science, University of San Diego (Howlad, PI) and grant P30 NR011403 (Grap, PI) supporting the Center of Excellence for Biobehavioral Approaches to Symptom Management by National Institute of Nursing Research, NIH. Co-investigator with University of San Diego School of Nursing
- Guided imagery effect on pregnancy symptoms and outcomes. Funded, 2010-2012; through grant P30 NR011403 (Grap, PI) supporting the Center of Excellence for Biobehavioral Approaches to Symptom Management by National Institute of Nursing Research, NIH and A.D. Williams Foundation. Project director
- Effect of relaxation tapes on maternal stress: a pilot. Funded 2004-2006, for $76,658, by National Institute of Nursing Research, 5 F31 NR008977, through University of Virginia. Principal investigator
Memberships and Leadership
- National Society for Psychosocial Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2010-present
- Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science, 2010-present
- National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health, 2010-present
- Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses, 1990-present; Peninsula chapter co-leader, 2009-present
- Southern Nursing Research Society, 2002-present
- Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners, 1996-present
- Sigma Theta Tau, 1985-present
- Virginia Chapter of March of Dimes Outstanding Leadership in Program Award, 2011
- Virginia Chapter of March of Dimes Volunteer of the Year Award, 2010
- Virginia Chapter of March of Dimes Volunteer Hall of Fame, 2006
Education and Training
- Ph.D., University of Virginia, Charlottesville
- M.S.N., The Catholic University of America, Washington, District of Columbia
- B.S.N., The University of California-Los Angeles
- Post-master’s certificates, Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner and Family Nurse Practitioner
- Search PubMed for Jallo N
Jallo N, Ruiz RJ, Elswick RK Jr, French E. Guided imagery for stress and symptom management in pregnant african american women. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2014;2014:840923. doi: 10.1155/2014/840923. Epub 2014 Feb 25. PubMed PMID: 24719646; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3955623.
Jallo N, Elswick RK Jr, Kinser P, Masho S, Price SK, Svikis DS. Prevalence and Predictors of Depressive Symptoms in Pregnant African American Women. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2015 Nov;36(11):860-9. doi: 10.3109/01612840.2015.1048014. PubMed PMID: 26631857.
Cartagena D, Ameringer SW, McGrath JM, Masho SW, Jallo N, Myers BJ. Factors contributing to infant overfeeding in low-income immigrant Latina mothers. Appl Nurs Res. 2015 Nov;28(4):316-21. doi: 10.1016/j.apnr.2015.03.007. Epub 2015 Mar 13. PubMed PMID: 26608432.
Jallo N, Salyer J, Ruiz RJ, French E. Perceptions of guided imagery for stress management in pregnant African American women. Arch Psychiatr Nurs. 2015 Aug;29(4):249-54. doi: 10.1016/j.apnu.2015 .04 .004. Epub 2015 Apr 24. PubMed PMID: 26165981.
An K, Jallo N, Menzies V, Kinser P, Robins JL, Starkweather A. Integrative Review of Co-Occurring Symptoms Across Etiologies of Chronic Liver Disease and Implications for Symptom Management Research and Practice. J Nurs Scholarsh. 2015 Jul;47(4):310-7. doi: 10.1111/jnu.12146. Epub 2015 Jun 15. PubMed PMID: 26077958.
Menzies V, Jallo N, Kinser P, Robins JL, An K, Driscoll C, Starkweather A, Bajaj JS, Lyon DE. Shared symptoms and putative biological mechanisms in chronic liver disease: implications for biobehavioral research. Biol Res Nurs. 2015 Mar;17(2):222-9. doi: 10.1177/1099800414541541. Epub 2014 Jul 18. Review. PubMed PMID: 25037448.
Newnam KM, McGrath JM, Salyer J, Estes T, Jallo N, Bass WT. A comparative effectiveness study of continuous positive airway pressure-related skin breakdown when using different nasal interfaces in the extremely low birth weight neonate. Appl Nurs Res. 2015 Feb;28(1):36-41. doi: 10.1016/ j.apnr.2014. 05.005. Epub 2014 Jun 5. PubMed PMID: 25017108.
Lyon D, McCain N, Elswick RK, Sturgill J, Ameringer S, Jallo N, Menzies V, Robins J, Starkweather A, Walter J, Grap MJ. Biobehavioral examination of fatigue across populations: Report from a P30 center of excellence. Nurs Outlook. 2014 Sep-Oct; 62(5): 322-331. PMCID: PMC4290842
Jallo N, Ruiz RJ, Elswick RK Jr, French E. Guided imagery for stress and symptom management in pregnant african american women. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2014; 2014: 840923. PMCID: PMC3955623
Ruiz RJ, Pickler RH, Marti CN, Jallo N. Family cohesion, acculturation, maternal cortisol, and preterm birth in Mexican-American women. Int J Womens Health. 2013 May 6;5:243-52. PMCID: PMC3658537
Baker B, McGrath JM, Pickler R, Jallo N, Cohen S. Competence and responsiveness in mothers of late preterm infants versus term infants. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2013 May-Jun;42(3):301-10. PMCID: PMC3774533
Jallo N, Lyon DE, Kinser PA, Kelly DL, Menzies V, Jackson-Cook C. Recruiting for epigenetic research: facilitating the informed consent process. Nurs Res Pract. 2013;2013:935740. PMCID: PMC3690242
Ruiz RJ, Jallo N, Murphey C, Marti CN, Godbold E, Pickler RH. Second trimester maternal plasma levels of cytokines IL-1Ra, il-6 and IL-10 and preterm birth. J Perinatol. 2012 Jul;32(7):483-90. PMCID: PMC3386355
Menzies V, Jallo N. Guided imagery as a treatment option for fatigue: a literature review. J Holist Nurs. 2011 Dec;29(4):279-86. PMID: 21772047
Lyon D, Cheng CY, Howland L, Rattican D, Jallo N, Pickler R, Brown L, McGrath J. Integrated review of cytokines in maternal, cord, and newborn blood: part 1 – Associations with preterm birth. Biol Res Nurs. 2010 Apr;11(4):371-6. PMID: 20034950.
Pickler RH, Brown LF, McGrath J, Lyon DE, Rattican D, Cheng CY, Howland L, Jallo N. Integrated review of cytokines in maternal, cord, and newborn blood: Part II- Associations with early infection and increased risk. Biol Res Nurs. 2010 Apr;11(4):377-86. PMID: 20028689
Jallo N, Bourguignon C, Taylor AG, Ruiz J, Goehler L. The biobehavioral effects of relaxation guided imagery on maternal stress. Adv Mind Body Med. 2009 Winter;24(4):12-22. PMID: 2067133
Jallo N, Bray K, Padden MP, Levin D. A nurse-driven quality improvement program to improve perinatal outcomes. J Perinat Neonatal Nurs. 2009 Jul-Sep;23(3):241-50. PMID: 19704292
Jallo N, Bourguignon C, Taylor AG, Utz SW. Stress Management during pregnancy: designing and evaluating a mind-body intervention. Fam Community Health. 2008 Jul-Sep;31(3):190-203. PMID: 18552600
Jallo, N., Cozens, R. (2011). Effects of Guided Imagery on Maternal Stress During Hospitalization for Preterm Labor, JOGNN 40:S94. Abstract
Jallo, N. “The biobehavioral effects of guided imagery on psychological distress during pregnancy” Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, May/June 2009.
Jallo, N. Effects of relationship-guided imagery on maternal stress. Southern Online Journal of Nursing Research [serial online]. March 2008;8(2)Available from: CINAHL Plus with Full Text, Ipswich, MA. Accessed May 10, 2011.
Books and/or chapters
Jallo, N. Electronic fetal monitoring. In: LevasseurSM, Raines DA, eds. Perinatal Nursing Secrets. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Hanley & Belfus; 2003: 123-148.