Research Expertise and Focus
- Oral Contraceptives, Insulin Resistance and Cardiovascular Risk Profile in African-American vs. Caucasian Women. Funded 2011-2013 at $153,969 through American Heart Association Mid-Atlantic Affiliate. Principal Investigator.
- Racial Differences in Insulin Resistance Before and During Pregnancy in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Funded 2011-2012 at $68750 through NICHD/ VCU National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities Pilot Project.
- Insulin and the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Funded 2006 to 2011 at $632,635 through NIH/NICHD K23 Award, 1K23HD049454. Principal investigator
- Putative insulin mediator and insulin resistance. American College of Clinical Pharmacy Women’s Health Investigator Development Award. Funded 2005 to 2006
- Oral contraceptives in the metabolic syndrome. A.D. Williams Fund of VCU and Clinical Research Feasibility Funds, GCRC. Funded 2004 to 2006
- Tissue factor polymorphisms and procoagulant activity in diabetes. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy. Funded 2002 to 2004
- Tissue factor polymorphisms in postmenopausal women. American College of Clinical Pharmacy Wyeth Women’s Health Research Award. Funded 2002 to 2004
Elizabeth Fries Young Investigator Award, VCU Institute for Women’s Health, 2009
Education and Training
- Pharm.D. in pharmacy, University of Texas at Austin and University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- M.S., biostatistics and clinical research, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Residency, Pharmacy Practice, Barnes Jewish Hospital, Washington University Medical Center, St. Louis, Mo.
- Fellowship, Cardiovascular Experimental Therapeutics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City
- Search PubMed for Cheang KI
Adeniji AA, Essah PA, Nestler JE, Cheang KI. Metabolic Effects of a Commonly Used Combined Hormonal Oral Contraceptive in Women With and Without Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2016 Feb 12. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26871978.
Brady MA, Carroll AW, Cheang KI, Straight C, Chelmow D. Sequential compression device compliance in postoperative obstetrics and gynecology patients. Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Jan;125(1):19-25. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000000554. PubMed PMID: 25560099.
Zreikat HH, Harpe SE, Slattum PW, Mays DP, Essah PA, Cheang KI. Effect of renin-angiotensin system inhibition on cardiovascular events in older hypertensive patients with metabolic syndrome. Metabolism. 2014 Mar;63(3):392-399. PMCID: PMC3957480
Witchel SF, Recabarren SE, González F, Diamanti-Kandarakis E, Cheang KI, Duleba AJ, Legro RS, Homburg R, Pasquali R, Lobo RA, Zouboulis CC, Kelestimur F, Fruzzetti F, Futterweit W, Norman RJ, Abbott DH. Emerging concepts about prenatal genesis, aberrant metabolism and treatment paradigms in polycystic ovary syndrome. Endocrine. 2012 Dec;42(3):526-34. PMCID: PMC3485440
Karjane NW, Cheang KI, Mandolesi GA, Stovall DW. Persistence with oral contraceptive pills vs. metformin in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2012 Jun;21(6):690-4. PMID: 22324645
Vinluan CM, Zreikat HH, Levy JR, Cheang KI. Comparison of different metabolic syndrome definitions and risks of incident cardiovascular events in the elderly. Metabolism. 2012 Mar;61(3):302-9. PMID: 21840552
Nestler JE, Reilly ER, Cheang KI, Bachmann LM, Downs RW Jr. A pilot study: effects of decreasing serum insulin with diazoxide on vitamin d levels in obese women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc. 2012;123:209-20. PMCID: PMC3540606
Cheang KI, Essah PA, Sharma S, Wickham EP, Nestler JE. Divergent effects of a combined hormonal oral contraceptive on insulin sensitivity in lean versus obese women. Fertil Steril. 2011 Aug;96(2):353,359.e1. PMCID: PMC3143285
Essah PA, Arrowood JA, Cheang KI, Adawadkar SS, Stovall DW, Nestler JE. Effect of combined metformin and oral contraceptive therapy on metabolic factors and endothelial function in overweight and obese women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril. 2011 Aug;96(2):501-504.e2. PMCID: PMC4480914
Wickham EP, Cheang KI, Clore JN, Baillargeon JP, Nestler JE. Total and high-molecular weight adiponectin in women with the polycystic ovary syndrome. Metabolism. 2011 Mar;60(3):366-72. PMCID: PMC2946975
Cheang KI. Effect of learner-centered teaching on motivation and learning strategies in a third-year pharmacotherapy course. Am J Pharm Educ. 2009 May 27;73(3): 42. PMCID: PMC2703280
Vardeny O, Zebrack J, Gilbert EM, Cheang KI. Effects of beta-blocker titration on glucose homeostasis in heart failure. J Pharm Technol. 2009 25(2):71-78. PMCID: PMC2724721
Cheang KI, Huszar JM, Best AM, Sharma S, Essah PA, Nestler JE. Long-term effect of metformin on metabolic parameters in the polycystic ovary syndrome. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2009 Apr;6(2):110-9. PMCID: PMC2907923
Cheang KI, Nestler JE, Futterweit W. Risk of cardiovascular events in mothers of women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Endocr Pract. 2008 Dec;14(9):1084-94. PMCID: PMC2639650
Cheang KI, Baillargeon JP, Essah PA, Ostlund RE Jr, Apridonize T, Islam L, Nestler JE. Insulin-stimulated release of D-chiro-inositol-containing inositolphosphoglycan mediator correlates with insulin sensitivity in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Metabolism. 2008 Oct;57(10):1390-7. PMCID: PMC2574418