Research Expertise and Focus
- Caesarean delivery techniques, particularly wound closure and the prevention of wound complications
- Cervical cancer screening and prevention
- Women’s preventive services
- Board of Directors, American Board of OB/GYN
- Inaugural President, Society for Academic Specialists in General OB/GYN
- Residency Review Committee in OB/GYN
- Board of Directors, Council of University Chairs in OB/GYN
- Board of Directors, American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology
- Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics National Faculty Award for Excellence in Medical Student Education
- Council on Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology National Faculty Award for Excellence in Resident Education
- J. Bay Jacobs Travel Award, American Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Foundation
- Philip J. McGovern Teaching Award
- Best Doctors in America, 2003-2014
- Editor-in-chief, Medscape Reference OB/GYN online textbook
- Editor- in-chief, SASGOG/Foundation for Exxcellence in Women’s Healthcare, Pearls of Exxcellence
Education and Training
- M.D., Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Conn.
- Undergraduate, Williams College, Williamstown, Mass.
- Residency in obstetrics and gynecology, University of California, San Francisco, Calif.
- Search PubMed for Chelmow DP
Chang JJ, Strauss JF,3rd, Deshazo JP, Rigby FB, Chelmow DP, Macones GA. Reassessing the impact of smoking on preeclampsia/eclampsia: Are there age and racial differences? PLoS One. 2014 Oct 22;9(10):e106446. PMCID: PMC4206265
Waxman AG, Chelmow D, Darragh TM, Lawson H, Moscicki B. Revised terminology for cervical histopathology and its implications for management of high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions of the cervix. Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Dec;120(6):1465-71. PMID: 23168774
Chelmow D. Screening for cervical cancer. ACOG Practice Bulletin Number 131. Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Nov;120(5):1222-38.
Chelmow D, Waxman A, Cain JM, Lawrence, HC 3rd. The evolution of cervical screening and the specialty of obstetrics and gynecology. Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Apr;119(4):695-9. PMID: 22433332
Saslow D, Solomon D, Lawson HW, Killackey M, Kulasingam SL, Cain JM, Garcia FA, Moriarty AT, Waxman AG, Wilbur DC, Wentzensen N, Downs LS Jr, Spitzer M, Moscicki AB, Franco EL, Stoler MH, Schiffman M, Castle PE, Myers ER, Chelmow D, Herzig A, Kim JJ, Kinney W, Herschel WL, Waldman J. American cancer society, american society for colposcopy and cervical pathology, and american society for clinical pathology screening guidelines for the prevention and early detection of cervical cancer. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2012 Jul;16(3):175-204. PMCID: PMC3915715
Viney R, Isaacs C, Chelmow D. Intra-abdominal irrigation at cesarean delivery: A randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Jun;119(6):1106-11. PMID: 22617574
Chelmow D. Postpartum haemorrhage: Prevention. BMJ Clin Evid. 2011 Apr 4;20111410. PMCID: PMC3275142
Lerner D, Parsons SK, Justicia-Linde F, Chelmow D, Chang H, Rogers WH, Greenhill A, Perch K, The impact of pre-cancerous cervical lesions on functioning at work and work productivity. J Occup Environ Med. 2010 Sep;52(9):926-33. PMID: 20798642
Strohsnitter WC, Savarese TM, Low HP, Chelmow DP, Lagiou P, Lambe M, Edmiston K, Liu Q, Baik I, Noller KL, Adami HO, Trichopoulos D, Hsieh CC. Correlation of umbilical cord blood haematopoietic stem and progenitor cell levels with birth weight: Implications for a prenatal influence on cancer risk. Br J Cancer. 2008 Feb 12;98(3):660-663. PMCID: PMC2243150
Savarese TM, Strohsnitter WC, Low HP, Liu Q, Baik I, Okulicz W, Chelmow DP, Lagiou P, Quesenberry PJ, Noller KL, Hsieh CC. Correlation of umbilical cord blood hormones and growth factors with stem cell potential: Implications for the prenatal origin of breast cancer hypothesis. Breast Cancer Res. 2007 9(3):R29. PMCID: PMC1929091