Research Expertise and Focus
- Health promotion and risk reduction among African-American and Latino adolescents and adults
- Can Parents Help Prevent Youth Tobacco Use? An Evaluation of Two Evidence-based Parenting Programs. Funded 2012-2015 by the Virginia Foundation for Healthy Youth, $449,973 total costs. Principal Investigator.
- VCU ACE: Evaluation of a comprehensive approach to youth violence prevention. Funded 2010-2015 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1U01CE001956, $6,500,000 total costs. Co-Investigator.
- Fostering family communication about cancer: do you know your kin facts? Funded 2009-2014 by National Institutes of Health, R01 CA140959, $1,844,317 total costs. Co-investigator
- Talking about cancer and related risk factors in Latino families. Funded 2009-2010 via American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant, $20,000 total costs. Principal investigator
- Improving the quality of mental health care for Richmond’s youth: A model interdisciplinary program. Funded 2009-2010 by VCU Council for Community Engagement, $10,000 total costs. Co-principal investigator
- Using media literacy to prevent HIV and dating violence among Latina adolescents. Funded 2008-2010 by National Institutes of Health, R25 MH080665, $9,980 total costs. VCU subcontract from Columbia University. Principal investigator
- Assessing the needs of the Asian-American community in Richmond. Funded 2011-2012 by VCU Council for Community Engagement; $12,000 total costs. Co-principal investigator
- Outstanding Teaching Award, VCU Department of Psychology, 2012
- Research affiliate, VCU Clark-Hill Institute for Positive Youth Development and the Center for Cultural Experiences in Prevention
- Fellow, HIV Intervention Science Training Program for Racial/Ethnic Minority Investigators (HISTP)
Education and Training
- Ph.D. and M.A., clinical psychology, University of California–Los Angeles
- B.A., University of California–Irvine
- Search PubMed for Corona R
Corona R, Yaros A, Pope M, Velazquez E, Augustin D. A pilot study of what African American maternal caregivers and their adolescent daughters talk about when asked to discuss tobacco together. J Ethn Subst Abuse. 2015 Sep 30:1-19. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26422186.
Rodríguez VM, Gyure ME, Corona R, Bodurtha JN, Bowen DJ, Quillin JM. What women think: cancer causal attributions in a diverse sample of women. J Psychosoc Oncol. 2015;33(1):48-65. doi: 10.1080/07347332.2014.977419. PubMed PMID: 25398057; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4315713.
Gyure ME, Quillin JM, Rodriguez VM, Markowitz MS, Corona RA, Borzelleca JF, Bowen DJ, Krist AH, Bodurtha JN. Practical considerations for implementing research recruitment etiquette. Irb. 2014 Nov-Dec;36(6):7-12. PMCID: PMC4324645
Bodurtha JN, McClish D, Gyure M, Corona R, Krist AH, Rodriguez VM, Maibauer AM, Borzelleca J,Jr, Bowen DJ, Quillin JM. The KinFact intervention – a randomized controlled trial to increase family communication about cancer history. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2014 Oct;23(10):806-816. PMCID: PMC4195404
Pope M, Corona R, Belgrave FZ. Nobody’s perfect: a qualitative examination of African American maternal caregivers’ and their adolescent girls’ perceptions of body image. Body Image. 2014 Jun; 11(3):307-117. PMID: 24958667
Quillin JM, Krist AH, Gyure M, Corona R, Rodriguez V, Borzelleca J, Bodurtha JN. Patient-reported hereditary breast and ovarian cancer in a primary care practice. J Community Genet. 2014 Apr;5(2):179-183.PMCID: PMC3955454
Halfond R, Corona R, Moon A. Latino parent and adolescent perceptions of hoped-for and feared possible selves for adolescents. J Adolescent Res. 2013 Mar, 28(2):209-40. doi:10.1177/0743558412457818
Corona R, Rodríguez V, Quillin J, Gyure M, Bodurtha J. Talking (or not) about family health history in families of Latino young adults. Health Educ Behav. 2012 Nov 7. PMID: 23136304
Lopez V, Corona R. Troubled relationships: high-risk Latina adolescents and nonresident fathers. J Fam Issues. 2012 Jun;33(6), 715-744. doi: 10.1177/0192513X11434915
Corona R, Stevens LF, Halfond RW, Shaffer CM, Reid-Quiñones K, Gonzalez T. A qualitative analysis of what Latino parents and adolescents think and feel about language brokering. J Child Fam Stud. 2012; 21, 788-798. doi: 10.1007/s10826-011-9536-2
Coker TR, Elliott MN, Wallander JL, Cuccaro P, Grunbaum JA, Corona R, Saunders AE, Schuster MA. Association of family stressful life-change events and health-related quality of life in fifth-grade children. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2011 Apr;165(4):354-359. PMCID: PMC4582781
Kennedy DP, Cowgill BO, Bogart LM, Corona R, Ryan GW, Murphy DA, Nguyen T, Schuster MA. Parents’ disclosure of their HIV infection to their children in the context of the family. AIDS Behav. 2010 Oct;14(5):1095-1105. PMCID: PMC2936671
Corona R, Cowgill BO, Bogart LM, Parra MT, Ryan G, Elliott MN, Park SK, Patch J, Schuster MA. Brief report: a qualitative analysis of discussions about HIV in families of parents with HIV. J Pediatr Psychol. 2009 Jul;34(6):677-80. PMCID:PMC2722103
Corona R, Gonzalez T, Cohen R, Edwards C, Edmonds T. Richmond Latino needs assessment: a community-university partnership to identify health concerns and service needs for Latino youth. J Community Health. 2009 Jun;34(3):195-201. PMID: 19132518
Corona R, Turf EE, Corneille M, Belgrave FZ, Nasim A. Risk and protective factors for tobacco use among 8th and 10th grade African American students in Virginia. Prev Chronic Dis. 2009 Apr;6(2):A45. PMCID:PMC2687851
Schuster MA, Corona R, Elliott MN, Kanouse DE, Eastman KL, Zhou AJ, Klein DJ. Evaluation of talking parents, healthy teens, a new worksite based parenting programme to promote parent-adolescent communication about sexual health: Randomised controlled trial. Bmj. 2008 Jul 10;337a308. PMCID: PMC2500197
Eastman KL, Corona R, Schuster MA. Talking parents, healthy teens: A worksite-based program for parents to promote adolescent sexual health. Prev Chronic Dis. 2006 Oct;3(4):A126. PMCID: PMC1784238