Research Expertise and Focus
- Psychological and behavioral interventions for pediatric obesity; Motivational Interviewing (MI) in pediatric obesity treatment
- Principal Investigator for NOURISH+MI, funded by the American Heart Association, to examine if an adjunctive MI-based intervention can lead to enhanced treatment engagement and reduced attrition among parents enrolled in a treatment for their child’s overweight
- Investigator with the T.E.E.N.S. (Teaching, Encouragement, Exercise, Nutrition, Support) Program, a multidisciplinary treatment program for overweight and obese adolescents, funded by the Children’s Hospital Foundation of Richmond
- Investigator with a study examining laparoscopic gastric plication in carefully selected adolescents with obesity and weight related comorbidities, funded by the Children’s Hospital Foundation of Richmond
- Principal Investigator for MI Values, a randomized controlled trial, funded by the American Cancer Society, PFT-08-144-01-CPPB, to examine if T.E.E.N.S. who participated in motivational interviewing would better adhere to program goals and manifest improved outcomes. Principal investigator.
- Principal Investigator for MI Values, a randomized controlled trial, funded by the American Cancer Society, PFT-08-144-01-CPPB, to examine if T.E.E.N.S. who participated in motivational interviewing would better adhere to program goals and manifest improved outcomes.
Memberships and Leadership
- Society for Behavioral Medicine
- The Obesity Society
- American Psychological Association, Division 38 (Health Psychology)
- Associate member, VCU Massey Cancer Center
- Reviewer for many journals, including Health Education and Behavior, the American Journal of Behavioral and the Journal of Behavioral Medicine
Education and Training
- Ph.D. in counseling psychology with a specialization in health psychology, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Pre-doctoral internship, New Mexico Veterans Affairs Hospital and the Indian Health Services, Albuquerque, N.M.
- Post-doctoral fellowship, clinical health psychology, VCU Department of Psychiatry
- Search PubMed for Bean MK
Hubbard RR, Palmberg A, Lydecker J, Green B, Kelly NR, Trapp S, Bean MK. Culturally-Based Communication about Health, Eating, and Food: Development and validation of the CHEF scale. Appetite. 2015 Sep 26;96:399-407. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2015.09.024. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26409643.
Browning MG, Bean MK, Wickham EP, Stern M, Evans RK. Cardiometabolic and Fitness Improvements in Obese Girls Who Either Gained or Lost Weight during Treatment. J Pediatr. 2015 Jun;166(6):1364-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2015.03.011. Epub 2015 Apr 15. PubMed PMID: 25890676; PubMed Central Bean MK, Jeffers AJ, Tully CB, Thornton LM, Mazzeo SE. Motivational interviewing with parents of overweight children: study design and methods for the NOURISH + MI study. Contemp Clin Trials. 2014 Mar;37(2):312-21. doi: 10.1016/j.cct.2014.02.001. Epub 2014 Feb 12. PubMed PMID: 24530488; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4025966.
Vanguri P, Brengman M, Oiticica C, Wickham EP 3rd, Bean MK, Lanning DA. Laparoscopic gastric plication in the morbidly obese adolescent patient. Semin Pediatr Surg. 2014 Feb;23(1):24-30. doi: 10.1053/j.sempedsurg.2013.10.018. Epub 2013 Nov 1. PubMed PMID: 24491365; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3924861.
Vanguri P, Lanning D, Wickham EP, Anbazhagan A, Bean MK. Pediatric health care provider perceptions of weight loss surgery in adolescents. Clin Pediatr (Phila).2014 Jan;53(1):60-5. doi: 10.1177/00099228 13500848. Epub 2013 Aug 27. PubMed PMID: 23983022.PMCID: PMC4446179.
McClish D, Carcaise-Edinboro P, Esinhart H, Wilson DB, Bean MK. Differences in response to a dietary intervention between the general population and first-degree relatives of colorectal cancer patients. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014 Sep-Oct;46(5):376-83. doi: 10.1016/j.jneb.2014.02.015. Epub 2014 Apr 17. PubMed PMID: 24746549; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4165655.
Kelly NR, Mazzeo SE, Bean MK. Systematic Review of Dietary Interventions with College Students: Directions for Future Research and Practice. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2013 Feb 20. doi:pii: S1499-4046(12)00712-9. 10.1016/j.jneb.2012.10.012. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23433967 [PubMed – as supplied by publisher]
Bean MK, Biskobing D, Francis GL, Wickham E 3rd. Motivational interviewing in health care: results of a brief training in endocrinology. J Grad Med Educ. 2012 Sep;4(3):357-61. PMCID: PMC3444191
Bean MK, Wilson DB, Thornton LM, Kelly N, Mazzeo SE. Dietary intake in a randomized-controlled pilot of NOURISH: A parent intervention for overweight children. Prev Med. 2012 September; 55(3): 224–227. PMCID: PMC3787076
Bean MK, Mazzeo SE, Stern M, BowenD, Ingersoll K. A values-based Motivational Interviewing (MI) intervention for pediatric obesity: study design and methods for MI Values. Contemp Clin Trials. 2011 Sep;32(5):667-74. PMCID: PMC3148306